Thursday 26 June 2014

21st June 2014 - Northants

Knuston Hall, Northamptonshire
21st June 2014


I was in Knuston Hall in Northants for the British BMG Federation Summer School, teaching "Celtic Mandolin" and generally making a nuisance of myself. It was a very good weekend of music, meeting people, music, eating, music and laughing. I was pleased to spend some time with one of my fellow tutors, Brazilian chore expert Gaio de Lima. As well as a superb mandolinist, he's a lovely guy, and we tentatively looked for some common threads between our respective genres. On the Saturday evening, after I'd spent too long talking with others, I created a session and we played music, sang songs and had a good time until 1pm - back on home ground! Philip from Dundalk, with his lovely Breedlove mandolin, played some Irish standards along with me (e.g. "Connachtman's Rambles") and in turns delighted us and wearied us with a 17-verse long rendition of the song "Drumsnot" by Brian O'Rourke (he told us he'd left three verses out - thanks, Phil!). 

After the six-and-a-half hour journey home on the Sunday, I was very tired, but the happy memories of the weekend sustained me, and I look forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment